Tuesday, January 03, 2006

 

Bouncing out of bed and petrol stations

With the office closed for the festive period, I've been putting my feet up and enjoying Christmas and New Year on the south coast of England.

And of course I've been recharging my batteries for the coming year because there is lots I want to achieve in 2006.

I love swapping the Sardinian sea for the English Channel and being away from Italy and slipping back into my old ways means I can evaluate my two lifestyles more objectively.

One of the things I value most about living in Italy is eating healthily. I love my food and have no problem washing down several courses with a good red wine.

But over here I eat less so why have I put on so much weight?

Admittedly, part of it will be due to all that chocolate I've been pinching from the Christmas tree, but I have a sneaking suspicion it's also to do with all the additives contained in the food.

In Sardinia, I don't eat so much as an E number and it shows in my bounce-out-of-bed-in-the-morning energy levels and my clear, glowing skin.

I also love the attention to customer service - especially at the petrol station where I sit in my car or enjoy an espresso at the bar and a homemade piece of cake while the attendant fills up tank.

McDonalds may be making inroads in the Italian market and eating paninis is all most teenagers do but the Dolce Vita is still there, and I intend to enjoy it while it lasts.

Buon Anno!

Emma Bird is the founder of www.howtoitaly.com





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?