Wednesday, January 11, 2006

 

From study abroad student in Florence to account manager in Turin

When I was made redundant in Milan after I got back from my summer holiday, I couldn't find a job anywhere. And,as you know, it wasn't for lack of trying. No matter how much effort I went to, the doors of opportunity just didn't open.

And now I know why.

It wasn't because I wasn't skilled or good enough - I was. It was because I hadn't sat down to envisage exactly what I wanted my new life to be like. I would have had more luck trying to fit square pegs into round holes. That's just how off-track I was.

Now, whenever I need to think about my life in Italy and all the really small details, I take myself off to an inspiring place and let myself daydream. No matter how impossible my thoughts seem, I write them down on a piece of paper. And I don't move until the entire page is covered with my handwriting.

Then it's back to the office to break down my scribble into logical steps.

And if you don't believe it works ask Stephanie Clement, an American currently working as an account manager in Turin for the Winter Olympics.

She fell in love with Italy during a semester in Florence and, like me, vowed she'd be back.
Stephanie doesn't have an EU passport but that didn't put her off because she was determined to realise her dream of living the Dolce Vita.

So just how did she get her sponsored work visa to move to Italy?

Stephanie says: after graduating from university, I returned to Europe on a back-packing trip and visited Torino shortly after it had won the bid for the 2006 Winter Olympics. When I walked out of Porta Nuova station and saw the banners in Piazza Carlo Felice congratulating the city on the recent success, I decided to make that my goal to return to Torino for the Games.

"I volunteered as an Italian interpreter/translator at the Salt Lake City Winter Olympics in 2002 and again in Athens in 2004. During these experiences, I was able to meet other professionals at the Olympics and network my way to my current position at the Winter Olympics in Torino 2006."

"I couldn't have gotten where i am today without networking and making my interests known to others."

Stephanie will now be leading Weaveaweb Torino, bringing together professional Italian-speaking women for monthly events.

Emma Bird is the founder of www.howtoitaly.com





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?