Wednesday, May 10, 2006

 

Being an Expat Entrepreneur

Sardinia is postcard perfect today.

The sky is a brilliant forget-me-not blue, the wind has dropped and it's warm enough to finally to cast off the jumpers and jackets that should have long been consigned to the back of the wardrobe.

I love days like this because they make me feel that anything and everything is possible and that there are endless opportunities are out there just waiting to be grabbed.

After popping into the local bar for a cappuccino and croissant oozing warm gooey chocolate, I decided it was too nice a day to work inside.

So I've taken myself off to the local park and am sat under a shady palm tree as I write this on my laptop.

It's made me realise just how portable my career and my office are - the battery on my laptop lasts for four hours without needing to be recharged so I don't have to worry about losing any data as the power suddenly cuts off.

Cagliari doesn't have good wifi coverage but that doesn't matter. Thanks to a mobile connect card (www.tim.it and www.vodafone.it both offer them) I can connect to the internet as much as I could if I were back in the office.

When I can be an expat entrepreneur and work anywhere I want in Italy - or, indeed, the world - why would I want to work for anyone else?

Emma Bird is the co-director of www.howtoitaly.com





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?