Wednesday, June 28, 2006

 

Divided Loyalties?

Watching the World Cup this week has made me realise one thing. Just how unpatriotic I've become in supporting the Boys from England.

And that's no mean feat when you consider that I used to go to Anfield to watch Liverpool live when I was working as a reporter in the city back in 2001, and even now I always check out the football results online.

Of course, I whooped and cheered in the bar on Sunday when David Beckham scored the golden goal that took us through to the quarter finals.

But I was more focussed on Italy's match the next day against Australia and whether the Azzuri would work their magic - which, with Francesco Totti's penalty kick in the final minute, they did.

Some would accuse me of betraying my home country but it's not that at all. I love Britain, I love going back to see friends and family and for business meetings and can still go misty eyed reminiscing about drinking pints in a traditional country pub.

But Italy is where I live, where I've set up my business, where I pay taxes, where I have bought a home and where I have lots of Italian friends.

Why shouldn't I support Totti and the team?


Emma Bird is the co-director of www.howtoitaly.com

Our book 'Starting a Business in Italy: how to set up and run a successful business in the Bel Paese' is coming soon.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?