Wednesday, January 10, 2007

 
I knew I should never have got carried away.

By the time I'd got to the geometra, I'd practically planned my dream house with its differing levels, verandas, balconies and roof terraces.

So, understandably, I couldn't believe it when he delivered the news that the house would have to be rebuilt as it was before the ODTRC saga.

This is due to planning regulations drawn up in the 1960s when Arzachena was just a tiny village and the Costa Smeralda had just been discovered. As a result, our house must be in line with that of our neighbour.

However, the upside is that although we can't build outwards we can build upwards and downwards - with a basement as big as we want.

I'm starting a new blog on the ups and downs of house building in Italy so if you've got any experiences, good or bad, to share; have expertise in housebuilding (in Italy or otherwise) or are just curious about the whole thing, then pop along and have your say. You'll also be able to check out the photos of the roof as it was and after it collapsed.

I can't access my new blog at the moment for techinical reasons but once it is up and running, I'll post the new address here.

Emma Bird is the director of www.howtoitaly.com and the co-author of Starting a Business in Italy: how to set up and run a successful business in the Bel Paese





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?